During the holiday season, people from all over are looking for the best destinations to spend the holidays with their loved ones. One of the best places to enjoy your Christmas this year is Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge, where you can celebrate the Winterfest lights event.
What Is Winterfest?
The Pigeon Forge Winterfest event is one of the most popular Christmas events in the region. This event is considered one of the most magical moments in the Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge, and Sevierville area. During the event, the entire area is covered by a blanket of millions of twinkling lights. These lights illuminate businesses, local attractions, and area streets. During this event, residents and guests are treated to light tours, special events, parades, and shows.
The Winterfest event started in 1989 to boost the slow winter tourism months experienced in the Great Smoky Mountains and Sevier County. Over time, this event was able to grow to become one of the biggest major attractions during winter.
When Is Winterfest Scheduled?
The 2021-22 Winterfest event in the Smoky Mountains is scheduled to run from November 11 to February 15, 2022. During this period, you can treat yourself and your family to a host of events and shows to light your Christmas spirit.
Stay tuned for the 2022-23 dates!
How Can I Enjoy Winterfest in Pigeon Forge?
There are several fun events held during the Smoky Mountains Winterfest. They include:
- Listen to live music in Smokies Bluegrass Festival: Bluegrass bands come together for a multi-day music festival every year around the beginning of December. The festival is held at the Stone Hill Lodge, with tickets at $25-$35. You can buy advanced reserved tickets for $125.
- Attend Gatlinburg’s Festival of Trees: This festival is a family-friendly event featuring children’s craft and play areas, entertainment, photo sessions with Santa Claus, and decorated Christmas trees for sale.
- Go ice skating at Wilderness at the Smokies: Every year, the Wilderness at Smokies is transformed into a winter wonderland featuring an outdoor ice skating rink. The rink covers 3200 square feet of space and is open to guests and the public.
- Check out the Winterfest at The Island in Pigeon Forge: During Christmas, this island comes to life with millions of Winterfest lights, creating the perfect holiday ambiance. Entry is free, meaning you can enjoy the festivities, take photos and shop at your pleasure.
4 Ways to See Winterfest Lights in Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg
The Winterfest lights are the highlight of the Winterfest events. To see and experience these lights, you can:
- Rent a jeep: Rent a jeep and take a scenic ride through the mountains where you can take in the view
- Rednecks: The Rednecks comedy bus Christmas lights tour is one of the best options for guests and residents who enjoy rowdy Redneck Christmas carols as they see their favorite Christmas light displays.
- Go for a stroll: With the right footwear, you can take a walk around Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg and take in the fantastic light displays.
- Get a new perspective: Riding the wheel at The Island is also a fun way of getting a bird’s-eye view of the Winterfest light displays.
Spend the Holidays at Oak Haven Resort
Looking for the perfect Christmas or holiday getaway? With cabins up to seven bedrooms, we can provide lodging for the whole family, so you have a warm and cozy place to sit by the fireplace after participating in all the fun winter activities the Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg area has to offer. Book your cabin today!